Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Battle That Cold!

My Cold Remedies

Now that it's getting colder outside it is inevitable that sooner or later we will all get sick. Being in a classroom or an office full of people is probably the fastest way to catch a nasty cold, and most of us have to be in that setting every day. The internet is filled with supposed fixes for being sick, but it's hard to know which ones work and which ones don't. I've had plenty of colds in my life and I have discovered little things that can help make you forget about being sick and start feeling better. Here are my tips for fighting that cold!

Organic Peppermint Amore Tea 
As soon as I feel that scratchy, sore throat starting I make a trip to DAVIDsTEA for a hot cup of Organic Peppermint Amore. It's caffeine-free and absolutely delicious! If your cold is much worse than just a sore throat they offer a blend of tea called Gail's Organic Cold Remedy, a green tea with ginger, lemon grass and lemon myrtle. You can also buy any amount of tea you want, so you can make it at home when you're too sick to leave the house. There are two DAVIDsTEA locations in Winnipeg, one in Polo Park Mall and one in Grant Park Shopping Centre. Even if you aren't sick I suggest you go stock up on tea just in case!

Vitamin C
Everyone always says that having lots of Vitamin C in your diet will stop you from getting sick. Whether or not this is true is something that many people argue over. It could just be me perceiving that the Vitamin C actually is making me feel better but either way a nice glass of orange juice can be just the thing to boost your energy and help you fight that cold. One kind of double-duty treats that I like are HALLS Vitamin C throat drops. They relieve your sore throat while the Vitamin C supplements they contain help make you healthy. These are my favourite throat drops! They taste as good as candy so make sure you buy a big bag!

Z Z  Z Z Z
Rest Up!
Sometimes when we are sick it is our body's way of telling us to slow down. When we are busy and stressed we don't take time to eat nutritiously or get enough sleep. Having to take a day off work because of a cold can do your body so much good. Resting during the day can be essential especially when our symptoms seem to worsen at night and we may not be able to fall asleep. Being warm can also help make you feel better so put on those wool socks, sweats and a hoodie and bundle up! Having an extra pillow behind your head can open your nasal passages and help with that stuffy nose. So take the day off, throw on some mindless television (my favourite is anything Kardashian) and rest up!
Get Friendly
When we're sick and our noses are red and drippy, we don't always look are best. Hiding away from the world can make you feel worse. I believe that having a visit with a friend or loved one can lift your spirits and make you forget that you're sick. Even if you don't have the energy to carry on a conversation, having a person you care about by your side can make you feel better. The only problem with this is your friend may catch your cold! If you are both sick that would be ideal because you wouldn't be concerned with germs. But something we have all learned from our mothers that would hug us even when we were at our sickest, is that to our loved ones, making us feel better is more important than the risk of getting sick.
Everyone has a different way of making themselves feel better so try my suggestions and come up with your own too! I'd love to hear what your favourite cold remedies are so feel free to leave me some comments!

1 comment:

  1. When I start feeling sick I just make myself a meal with LOTS of garlic. Sometimes I make tea by pouring hot water in a cup with a sliced clove of garlic, a bit of fresh ginger, and a sweetner. Garlic always stops me from getting sick.

    ReplyDelete