Friday, January 25, 2013

Tons Of Toques!

Play

As I mentioned in a previous post, I recently took up knitting as a hobby. Since I started, I have made two scarves, two toques and a headband! Not bad for a full time student! The only problem with regular knitting is it takes a long time to complete a project. 

For my birthday my Aunty bought me a set of looms, which are plastic knitting tools with pegs all around the top. Looms are used to knit things really fast and it makes knitting easier and more manageable, even for kids. 

The kit she bought me was from Michaels and it came with 4 different sized circular looms, a hook and a yarn needle. I used a medium weight yarn and made myself a toque in just a couple of hours! I was so thrilled with my loom that I made another toque the next day, I just couldn't get enough! 

The instructions that came with the set were very clear and simple, so it wasn't confusing teaching myself how to use the loom. For my first toque I wanted to add a pompom to the top. I found a great video of Martha Stewart explaining how to make one. It was so easy and pompoms can be added to so many crafts!

You can also get looms for making scarfs and for making socks! I definitely want to try both of those, imagine wearing hand knit socks on a cold Winnipeg day! 

I highly recommend everyone get themselves a loom and start knitting! 


Making pompoms

My Grandpa wearing the toque I knit him!


1 comment:

  1. It's great to have a skill like that. I still have a sweater that my late grandmother knitted for my younger brother when he was a baby and it's held up very well these 30-plus years. (Her father owned a sweater factory, so I guess it's in the blood.)

    ReplyDelete