Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Sweating it out

For a long time now I have been hearing all about yoga and how amazing it is. I read articles about it in my magazines, see yoga inspired selfies on Instagram, and hear about it from my friends. So this summer my friend Leanne and I decided we were ready to see what yoga was all about!

We researched local studios and settled on Moksha Yoga Winnipeg since they have a wide range of classes and an intro pass for only $40 (the cheapest we could find). We read up on the classes they offered and found one that was at a good time and was supposedly appropriate for beginners. When we got to the studio with our adorable new yoga mats we were told that the class we signed up for was actually better suited to experienced yogis... uh oh.

We decided to be brave and give it a try and we actually really enjoyed it! By the end of the hour we both felt like we were going to faint but we realized we'd been concentrating so hard we barely took any breaths! I have never experienced the feeling of heat that I did in that yoga studio but somehow (my guess is from all of the sweating) I actually felt calm and relaxed.

We went to our second class (one that was for beginners) and found it even more enjoyable. We both felt relaxed and peaceful and remembered to breathe. I am an over thinker and I found that yoga helped me clear my mind and gain serenity.

Unfortunately our plan to go at least twice a week didn't work. The 30+ Winnipeg weather and our busy schedules kept us from going back, but I did manage to catch the yoga bug! I really want to go back and try more. They even offer Barre; a mixture of yoga, ballet and Pilates, which I am dying to try.

I want to make more time to do things like yoga, I think it is important to take time to relax and relieve stress.

Have you ever tried yoga?

-Sarah

2 comments:

  1. I tried hot yoga for the first time last winter and really enjoyed it. Like you, I didn't keep up with it as I had planned to, but I look forward to going back.

    I went with a friend and didn't expect to enjoy it at all - but I did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You HAVE to try Barre. I absolutely love it.
    I was a perma-student at the Waverley location all summer thanks to a Groupon and amazing instructors who really helped me stay motivated.

    I wasn't a big fan of classes before this, but Barre is awesome! Highly recommend.

    I tried it for the first time at an intro class and I actually blogged about it. Feel free to have a look: http://sarahtone.wordpress.com/2013/02/16/try-trending-barre-yoga/

    -Sarah Tone

    ReplyDelete